Quality Service and Supplies
The Furbay Electric Supply Compay
In 1934, Ralph E. Furbay and Homer D. Sommer incorporated the Furbay-Sommer Company with the help of 37 other stockholders. They invested $25,800 in capital during the Great Depression when investment capital was extremely scarce. The expertise and knowledge of the electrical business mostly came from experience at the Moock Electric Supply Company founded in Canton in 1906. Mr. Furbay's wife, Gourney Moock Furbay had worked and learned the business from her father, Philip E. Moock. The Moock and Furbay families formed the beginning of four generations continuously working in the electrical distribution industry.
A corporate name change was made in 1946 when Mr. Furbay purchased Mr. Sommer's interest in the business. The new company, The Furbay Electric Supply Company, remained at 115 Schroyer Avenue and prospered in the robust post WWII era. Mr. Furbay's own son, Philip M. Furbay joined the company as a salesman following his duty as a US Navy P.T. Boat Captain in the Pacific during WWII.
The original building at 115 Schroyer became a residential lighting showroom in 1972 when a new warehouse and corporate headquarters were built across the street during the Presidency of Philip Furbay. In 1996, the lighting showroom was updated and moved to 208 Schroyer Avenue adjacent to the remodeled counter and merchandise are at the main location in Canton.
In 1977 Mansfield Electric Supply, Inc. was purchased and became a wholly owned subsidiary and branch of Furbay Electric. Mansfield Electric was established in Mansfield, Ohio in 1959 and operated in downtown Mansfield for many years. Initially, Mansfield Electric served industrial customer's electrical needs in Richland and surrounding counties within 50 miles of Mansfield. The Company moved to a new building at 2255 Stumbo Road in Ontario, Ohio (just west of Mansfield) in 1980. Over the years, the products and services Mansfield Electric provides have grown. We now service the electrical needs of contractors, residential builders, and commercial/institutional facilities, in addition to our industrial accounts.
Our organization has been a member of the Canton community for over 66 years as well as a member of the Greater Canton Chamber of Commerce for 61 years. The Company has earned a respected reputation supplying electrical goods to build any of the medical facilities, schools, churches, government buildings, plants, commercial businesses and homes throughout the area over these many years. We take pride in the Company's hard-earned reputation of service in the community for supplying quality products used in the facilities where we work, live, and enjoy ourselves with our families and friends.
Furbay Electric employs 50 people and our annual sales volume is $19 million. Our main trading areas are: Canton, Akron, Mansfield, Wooster, Dover / New Philadelphia. Our two warehouse locations stock and service electrical products for industrial, commercial and residential customers within a 75 mile radius of each location. We have certified lighting consultants that handle lighting projects from residential to commercial and industrial. We also added in 1996 a state of the art lighting lab in which we can demonstrate a multitude of lighting applications. We represent and display over 175 brand manufacturers as listed on our line card. We have an experienced sales force that can handle any need from industrial to contractor; with an inventory in excess of $3 million. We are continually investing in the training of our people and in the latest technology to help us operate at the most efficient level possible.
Our purpose is to be a high quality, innovative and value added supplier of electrical products and services primarily to the contractor, industrial and maintenance markets. It is Furbay's goal to be the dominant distributor in every geographical area it operates a branch and to provide an environment where associates can learn, grow and enjoy their work.