Siffrin, Inc. was established in 1976 as a non-profit residential services agency. In the early 70's, there was a recognized need for community residential options for people with disabilities. Family members and advocates of people with disabilities began to question why they should live in large buildings with inadequate staff, sometimes in deplorable conditions, and often times far away from family, friends, and their own community.
In partnership with the Ohio Department of Mental Retardation, parents of people with disabilities began an effort to form a new agency with the express purpose of developing housing and support services. They enlisted the help of community leaders, secured the support of the County Board of MRDD and contributed an estate donation from Elsie Siffrin to found this agency.
In February of 1976, Siffrin was incorporated as a private, non-profit agency. In late summer of that year, the first house was leased, a part-time executive director was hired, support staff was hired and trained, and seven men moved into the home.
Today Siffrin services extend to more than 300 people in multiple counties.
- Our supervised living program manages 39 households that are home to two-to-four people who require 24-hour staff supports.
- The Siffrin community support services program provides staff assistance to individuals who can live independently in our communities with minimal supports.
- The employment support services program provides job development and training to people with disabilities.
- Foster family services provide a person with a disability the opportunity to reside with a family in a long-term situation.
- Fiscal services assist individuals and families in acquiring and utilizing fiscal resources for service delivery and maintaining those benefits, even when working at gainful employment.
- Day services provide opportunities and life experiences for persons with disabilities through The Bridge program, which focuses on daily living skill training, arts, development, creative thinking, and vocational training.