The Supplier Quality Manager is responsible for maintaining and improving the food quality and safety standards of incoming materials delivered to Shearer’s factories, including: raw ingredients, ready-to-eat ingredients and packaging. The successful candidate will partner with Procurement, located in Massillon Ohio, to guarantee the consistent quality and safety of materials purchased from our suppliers, and collaborate with Shearer’s Coman Management team to guarantee that co-manufacturers are in compliance with Shearer’s Food Safety and Quality policies. This position will be responsible for managing the supplier quality approval process as well as supplier complaints and supplier quality performance measurements. As part of this process, the Supplier Quality Manager will be responsible for conducting audits, when required, of the Suppliers’ Food Safety and Quality Management Systems.
- Develop, manage and continuously improve supplier scorecard metrics as they pertain to food safety and quality.
- Manage ingredient sample analysis with Procurement and third party accredited laboratories to facilitate compliance monitoring.
- Trend and report cost of non-conforming materials, and supplier corrective action response time and efficacy.
- Provide quarterly updates to senior Quality and Procurement Management regarding supplier performance across the network.
- Institute quality tools and programs that focus on identification and prevention of supplier quality defects.
- Participate in root cause / failure analysis of supplier-caused non-conforming product, and ensure product quality concerns are adequately addressed by the supplier.
- Employ statistical techniques and rationale in decision-making activities driven by quality data that is statistical in nature (nonconformance trending, CAPA effectiveness, ingredient qualification, supplier process monitoring).
- Participate in the selection of material suppliers through supplier quality and food safety documentation review and audits as appropriate.
- Maintain approved supplier list.
- Conduct/organize on site audits as needed for supplier approval, assuring supplier on-going compliance with Shearer’s Quality and Food Safety Standards, or in the event of supplier quality / food safety issues.
- Write/review supplier audit reports, propose corrective action plan, and interface with suppliers’ production and quality management teams to ensure that corrective & preventive action is implemented in a timely manner and is effective to prevent recurrence.
- In coordination with Procurement, communicate current Shearer’s Quality and Food Safety Policies to suppliers.
- Create and maintain material specifications as required to ensure that material specifications are accurate and current.
- Collaborate and gain alignment with Product Lifecycle, Commercialization, & Innovation (PLCI), Procurement, and other members of food safety and quality including Regulatory and Labeling, regarding approval and use of material specifications.
- In conjunction with PLCI, Procurement and other members of the food safety and quality team, leverage ingredient risk assessment tools to determine physical, chemical and biological risks of procured materials.
- Maintain Shearer’s regulatory compliance by monitoring, analyzing and reporting regulatory changes such as FDA FSMA. Assist as required in FDA/USDA audits.
- Provide subject matter expertise to manufacturing personnel, PLCI, and Procurement.
- Work with PLCI and manufacturing to determine ingredient receiving inspection requirements. Provide technical quality support for receiving inspection results and perform and to all facilities as needed.
- This position will work closely with Shearer’s co-manufacturing facilities, procurement, suppliers, regulatory officials such as FDA, USDA, and local government agencies, laboratory operations and external agencies such as third party auditing firms.
- Provides support and assistance to plants when needed for new ingredient validations, supplier visits, supplier quality improvement projects, and other supplier food safety or quality issues as needed.
- Formulates and maintains Supplier Quality Performance Objectives; aligns and coordinates objectives with Procurement.
- Coordinates supplier projects that are multi-plant or network wide quality or food safety initiatives.
- Establishes good communications with all Shearer’s Team members
- MS in Food Science, Food Engineering, or related field or BS with commensurate experience and/or training.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience with food manufacturing operations and QA programs, working in a food processing facility certified by SQF, BRC or other GFSI recognized program with 2 -3 years as a plant QA Manager.
- Supplier Quality Management experience preferred.
- In-depth understanding of and experience with government agencies’ food safety regulations, specifically FDA-FSMA, CFIA and USDA requirements.
- Formal HACCP, PCQI, Quality System Training and SQF. SPC and /or Lean Six Sigma experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable quantitative and analytical skills.
- Travel estimated at 50%. Emergency travel is sometimes required on little notice.