|March 25, 2019
|Building inspection; Legal knowledge; Communication; Interacting with the General Public; Writing Skills; Basic Computer Skills
Opportunity for Employment: Code Enforcement Officer
Notice of Competitive Examination
The Massillon Civil Service Commission will conduct a competitive civil service examination for the full-time position of Code Enforcement Officer in the Building Department. The results of this written examination will be used to create a certified eligibility list. This position is under the direction of the Chief Building Official. This is an entry level classified position with a pay range of $15.98 – $19.93 per hour and it includes benefits. The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Exam Date, Location, and Time
Exam Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Location: Massillon Recreation Center, 505 Erie Street North, Massillon, Ohio 44646
Check-in Time: 5:00 – 5:30 PM There will be no admittance to the exam after 5:30 PM.
Exam Timeframe: 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM (2-hour time limit)
An exam fee of $10.00, in the form of a check or money order, is due at the time of application. Cash is not accepted. See below for more information about application requirements.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
The Code Enforcement Officer performs inspections to enforce local one-, two-, and three-family dwelling codes and property maintenance. This position frequently works with the general public and prepares documentation related to inspections. Code Enforcement Officer duties include:
- Perform inspections of basic entry level complexity on one-, two-, and three-family structures
- Document life safety, general safety, health and welfare, and basic nuisance issues
- Write reports and prepare cases for court hearings for noncompliance
- Notify owners and/or tenants of violations
- Prepare documents for legal review and review by the Board of Building Appeals
- Investigate complaints and refer them to the appropriate departments
- Work with other City departments to attain compliance
- Graduate from an accredited high school, trade school or earned GED
- Demonstrates good communication skills
- Some knowledge of electrical, plumbing, heating/air condition, and building codes
- Some knowledge of zoning ordinances for the City of Massillon
- Ability to learn and apply basic principles of the above-mentioned qualifications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with building owners, tenants, contractors, and the general public
Scope of Examination
The written examination will consist of seventy-five (75) multiple choice questions in the subject areas of building inspection, legal knowledge, communication and public relations, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling as well as technology and computer use. Applicants must obtain a minimum passing score of seventy percent (70%) on the examination to be placed on an eligibility list ranked according to total score.
- There is a 2-hour time limit to complete the written examination.
- Identification is required to be admitted to the examination– Applicants who have been accepted for examinations will be admitted to the test site only upon presentation of their driver’s license. Applicants unable to present their driver’s license will not be accepted for examination.
- Prohibition of mobile phones and other electronic devices – The presence of operating mobile phones, pagers, wristwatches and/or other electronic devices emitting audible tones to alert an incoming message are prohibited during the examination. Violators are subject to dismissal from the examination.
- Battery powered or solar non-printing calculators not related to mobile phones are permitted.
- Accommodations – Applicants with a disability requiring accommodation at any phase during the testing process must advise the Civil Service Commission in writing at the time of application to permit accommodations. Failure to notify the Commission of any disability requiring accommodation after the application deadline may result in the Commissions inability to accommodate any disability.
- All applicants attaining a minimum passing score of seventy percent (70%) on the written examination will be placed on an eligibility list ranked according to total score.
Filing of Application
Application Due Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM
City of Massillon Application
Obtain a City of Massillon application in one of two ways:
- Hard copy in the Office of the Civil Service Commission, Municipal Government Annex Administration Building (2nd Floor), 151 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, Ohio 44646 (in the Huntington Bank Building; across the street from the Lions Lincoln Theater in downtown Massillon)
- Online on the City of Massillon web site: http://www.massillonohio.com/city-services/city-services/job-opportunities/Submit completed applications to the Office of the Civil Service Commission, Municipal Government Annex Administration Building (2nd Floor), 151 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, Ohio 44646 (in the Huntington Bank Building; across the street from the Lions Lincoln Theater in downtown Massillon)
Application Documentation & Submission Requirements
- Submit your application, with the following documentation, to the Office of the Civil Service Commission no later than the Application Due Date of Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM:
- Completed application (including fully completed, witnessed, and dated Authorization for Release of Information Form)
- Payment for the $10.00 exam fee in the form of a check or money order. Make payment out to the “City of Massillon.” Cash is not accepted. This fee is non-refundable.
- Bonus credit documentation, if applicable
- Submit your complete application with the required documentation in one of two ways:
- In person to the Civil Service Administrator between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday (excluding holidays) at the Office of the Civil Service Commission.
- In the absence of the Civil Service Commission Administrator, applications may be submitted in person to either one of the two Administrative Assistants in the Mayor/Public Safety-Service Directors’ Office.
- By U.S. Mail, FedEx, or UPS. Applications must be postmarked by 4:00 PM on Wednesday, April 10, 2019
- Pass the Code Enforcement Officer civil service examination on Tuesday, April 23, 2019 with a score of 70% or higher.
Important: Applications not submitted per the specified application requirements will be rejected.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure ALL required documents necessary for exam eligibility, bonus points, and examination fee accompany the application.
- Failure to meet all criteria will exclude the applicant from taking the exam. There will be NO notification to applicants regarding this exclusion.
- Applications received after 4:00 PM on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 will not be accepted.
- Applicants will be disqualified if it is found they have made a false statement or concealed any material fact, or practiced, or attempted to practice any deception or fraud in the application, or in the examination, or in establishing eligibility.
Bonus Credit – Documentation & Standards
- Twenty percent (20%) is the maximum total bonus credit available.
- Possible bonus credit is allowed for: Armed Forces Veteran or City of Massillon Residency
- Bonus credit will only be awarded if a minimum acceptable score of seventy percent (70%) is achieved on the written examination.
- Applicants must submit acceptable proof documentation to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive the applicable bonus credit.
- Documentation received after the filing deadline will not be eligible for bonus credit.
Veteran's Preference: In accordance with Section 124.23 of the Ohio Revised Code, any applicant discharged from the uniformed services or transferred to the reserves with evidence of satisfactory service who is a resident of this state and any member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, with more than one hundred eighty days (180) of active duty service pursuant to an executive order of the President of the United States or an act of the congress of the United States shall receive additional credit of twenty percent (20%) of the total grade given awarded in the examination provided a passing grade is attained. A member in good standing of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, who successfully completes initial entry level training, shall receive a credit of fifteen percent (15%) of the person's total grade given in the examination provided a passing grade is attained.
Applicants receiving credit for service in the uniformed services (active duty) shall not receive additional credit for service in a reserve component of the armed forces, including the Ohio National Guard. Applicants must file a certificate of service or Honorable Discharge (Form DD 214 - Long Version) to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to be eligible for credit
City of Massillon Residency: An additional credit of twenty percent (20%) of the person's total grade scored in the examination shall be given to applicants who have maintained a permanent residence within the corporate limits of the City of Massillon for six (6) continuous months immediately prior to the date of the written examination. Applicants must submit proof of residency satisfactory to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive credit.
- Acceptable documents to show proof of residency:
- Utility bill with your name and address (that is no older than 90 days)
- W2 Tax Form with your name and address (most current)
- Driver’s license with the correct address and issued at least 6 months prior to the exam date
- Unacceptable documents:
- A check with your name and address
- Utility bill with your spouse or family member’s name (not in your name)
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Massillon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, national origin, age, political affiliation, or any other non-merit factor.
The City of Massillon is a drug-free workplace.
By Order of the Massillon Civil Service Commission
Elaine Campbell, Chairperson; Tony Townsend, Secretary; Margaret Elum, Assistant Secretary
Municipal Government Annex, Mezzanine Floor | 151 Lincoln Way E., Massillon, Ohio 44646 | Telephone: (330) 830-1763 | Fax: (330) 830-1764 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org