|Date Posted||March 31, 2021|
♥ You already love us ♥
Shearer’s is a privately held producer, co-manufacturer and distributor of quality snack foods sold under the Shearer’s brand, and other private labels. As a matter of fact, Shearers is the number one producer of kettle cooked chips in the world! As the leader in North America, we private label and co-manufacture salty snacks and we are the second largest producer of cookies and crackers. We utilize our manufacturing expertise to serve as a strategic supplier to our partners, who are nationally recognized retail and restaurant brands. So, while you may not be familiar with our name, you likely eat the products we make on a regular basis. With exceptional competence in product development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution, we continue to realize significant growth in each segment of our business. Headquartered in Massillon, Ohio, we have over 5,000 associates in 11 state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution sites in North America. You can visit our website at www.Shearers.com .
Corporate Controls Engineer
Your seat at the table
This position is responsible for all phases and aspects of process automation control and related support systems in all process departments. This includes design, specification, installation, maintenance recommendations and training for control/automation systems. Design, implement and maintain PLC and/or PC based control systems to satisfy manufacturing and engineering needs. This position will provide technical guidance to other departments on processes utilizing this equipment in accordance with government and company regulations, policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluation, recommendation and monitoring of new equipment and processes to continuously improve product quality, reduce product lead-time, and reduce costs of operation.
- Participation in the quoting, engineering, electrical design, programming, installation, commissioning and on-going support of machinery, automation systems and processes.
- Work within a team structure to finalize/implement a design, programming (PLC, operator interface, and data collection packages), installation support and commissioning (visit Shearer’s facilities to test instrumentation and automation systems) and on-going internal customer support (troubleshoot problems).
- Developing training systems to train operators and maintenance personnel.
- Prepares and presents reports for management on projects, costs and improvements.
- Continue to find ways to improve cycle times; reduce scrap and upgrade components for cost/performance improvement.
- Perform expert level maintenance functions.
- Design, order, build and prove-out cells and individual projects including wiring, programming and wiring diagrams.
- Troubleshoot and repair manufacturing systems, production and line controls, robots, coordinate vision systems, combustion systems and Engineering & Maintenance departments.
- Continually improve knowledge base regarding advances in parts, equipment and processes to keep abreast of changes and innovations in equipment selection.
- Recommends levels of inventories of maintenance material, supplies and repair parts.
- Support and work with all departments in solving problems and improving manufacturing processes.
- Guide and manage support engineers and technicians for departments. Work with vendors to improve production processes.
- Create and maintain the Engineering B.O.M. standards.
- Work with IT for machine communications and connections including all PLC, vision/camera installations, robot installation and programming.
- Monitor projects or situations that could cause schedule revisions in other departments and inform Manufacturing Engineering Management and Maintenance Management.
- Active Safety Committee Participation
- Recognize and demonstrate that safety is each person’s responsibility and continual participation in all aspects of the safety and health program will create a safety culture and reduce the costs of injuries and incidents.
- Assist in the development of base line safe work performance expectations and work practices. Identify and correct any unsafe condition and identify and unsafe action observed.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Full familiarity with computer programs such as Auto-Cad, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Full familiarity with AB PLC series and higher machine control logic and language and is able to design, write and troubleshoot same.
- Familiarity with high speed manufacturing and packaging processes, operations and associated machinery.
- Basic S.L.C. 500 PLC programming
- ABB & Fanuc Robot programming (and others)
- Troubleshoot and repair hydraulic systems components, valves, pressure reducers, and cylinders; understand hydraulic blueprints
- Troubleshoot and repair pneumatic systems components, valves, pressure reducers and cylinders; understand pneumatic schematics and concepts
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical systems and their components; understand electrical schematics, understand and write machine (Allen Bradley) ladder logic; understand electronics to component level
- Perform PM’s and repairs on ABB robots, Fanuc robots, printers, and other associated equipment to board level; programs ABB and Fanuc position changed by teaching or numerical control; programs ABB and Fanuc logic code; programs Karel language
- Installs equipment in a fully automated work cell from concept/design to actual production; plumbing and conduit; assists in startup and shutdown of automated work cells; metal fabrication, assembly and modification of guards, tooling, supports, and associated equipment using current machining and welding equipment; start up and shutdown of robotics, printers, and vision system
- Repair computer PC based systems to board level
- Assists in setting and maintaining proper stockroom inventory levels
- Install, maintain, and access computer software on the PLC-5, PLC-2, SLC-500, SLC-150; understands high speed data acquisition and storage
- Completes required technical and administrative documentation; calibration worksheets (pressure reducers), blueprint updates, ladder logic updates.
- Perform standard office upkeep, including data entry, work order entry/updates, preventative maintenance entry/updates, weekly, monthly, and annual reports as necessary
- Ability to create programs for new and existing equipment to improve productivity and safety aspects
- Knowledge of Infinity quality system.
- Knowledge of OSHA / NFPA requirements.
What you bring to the table
- Minimum of AS degree in technical field including electrical engineering
- 5-10 years of industrial automation engineering or plant engineering
- Lift & Boom truck certification
- High School Diploma or Equivalency (HSED or GED).
We Offer a Feast of Benefits
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!