|January 25, 2024
Shearer's is a leading contract manufacturer and private label supplier in the snack industry in North America. Headquartered in Massillon, Ohio, Shearer's has 17 state-of-the-art, geographically diverse manufacturing facilities in Ohio, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Iowa, Ontario and Alberta, Canada, including one of the industry's first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum LEED certified facilities in Massillon, Ohio. The Company is known for producing the highest quality snacks in assorted flavors and sizes, including kettle cooked potato chips, traditional potato chips, tortilla chips, cheese curls and other extruded snacks, and corn chips, as well as cookies, crackers, and wafers.
Location: Millennium plant located in Massillon, Ohio
This role is a part of the senior team at the plant and is accountable for leading a comprehensive safety and wellness process using a proactive approach. Creating a Safety Culture, where our associates’ safety and well-being is always the #1 priority is the primary responsibility for this Safety Leader. This highly energized, on-the-floor leader will engage with associates daily, help lead safety messaging, and work cross-functionally to ensure safety training and compliance is very effective. Creation and implementation of a Safety Strategy for the plant will be required. Sharing key learnings, issues, opportunities, and best practices as an active contributor to the Safety Community across the plant network and building relationships with peers and cross-functional partners will be critical to success.
Reporting Structure: This role reports to the Plant Site Director with a dotted line to the Director of Environmental, Health, and Safety.
- Lead a caring safety culture that is focused on people.
- Lead processes necessary to ensure a safe working environment – every shift, every day
- Lead the facility to meet or exceed established corporate safety goals aligned with business needs.
- Lead processes necessary to be compliant with applicable federal, state and local safety requirements and remain current on changing requirements; handle any applicable audits or OSHA visits
- Lead programs, training and messaging to recognize, reward and promote safe behaviors throughout the facility – catch our associates doing things right.
- Drive strong accountability with leaders to be role models of safe behaviors.
- Lead programs to correct unsafe acts and unsafe conditions with the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with the Site Director, HR and Worker’s Compensation/Leave Experts (both in the plant and at the support center) on all decisions related to injuries, leaves, reasonable accommodations/return to work, discipline and leave case management.
- Strong sense of urgency around communication and proactive approach to issues and concerns.
- Stay apprised on trends and best practices – both across the network and within the marketplace and the Safety Community
- Ensure relevant data, compliance records & training, postings, procedures and reporting is complete, accurate and in compliance. Extract insights from our data to identify trends/issues/opportunities and create a plan to address those insights (may be ergonomic, PM issues, training gaps, etc.)
- Build high performing teams, develop and retain top talent
- Financial Controls and Budgeting: Responsible for providing leadership and guidance to maintain a safety budget with an emphasis on practical business and financial responsibility
- Coaching and Leading others
- Caring positive approach, influencing and motivating others
- Whole systems thinking
- Managing projects and processes
- Well organized
What you bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Operations, Engineering, Business or related field is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in EHS is required.
- Experience influencing and training large manufacturing teams and management to promote and lead by example a safe work environment and to always remain in compliance with all legal and company safety regulations.
- Ability to lead others – servant leadership style is the best fit for our culture.
- Knowledge of OSHA, Logout Tagout, Machine Guarding and other State/Federal requirements
- Ability and willingness to work flexible schedule.
- Experience in working with regulatory agencies.
- Priority setting – able to effectively direct the activities of others including establishing expectations, removing barriers, and managing performance
- Comfort around leadership – able to influence others without formal authority including comfort with senior leadership.
- Managing peer relationships – able to work collaboratively with others and accomplish objectives.
- Influencing others – able to work effectively through others where there is no reporting relationship.
- Strategic agility – able to think through complex issues and develop solutions that deliver integrated and long-lasting results.
- Action oriented – high level of energy and able to help others see the goals for safety, health, and environment
- Approachability– able to present well and establish credibility
- Drive for results – action oriented and able to produce results utilizing matrixed relationships throughout the organization
We Offer a Feast of Benefits
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!
Note: Shearer’s does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Shearer’s is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.