|Date Posted||May 6, 2022|
You already LOVE us and the SNACKS WE MAKE
Chips, Cookies, Crackers, Wafers, Cheese Curls, Popcorn, Tortilla Chips... yeah, we make them ALL! Shearer's is the company behind all your favorite snack brands.
We have nearly 5,000 associates in 11 state-of-the-art manufacturing and warehouse sites in North America that produce over 800 million pounds of snacks per year. Did you know that we buy 20% of all the potatoes grown in the US? WOW!
And we know what you’re thinking…how can I get my hands on some free goodies? Our team members can crunch on oodles of free snacks – everyday!
At Shearer’s, we provide the safest environment possible for our employees by providing proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), frequent and thorough sanitation practices, social distancing, daily temperature checks, as well as virtual interviewing options. Safety is our absolute priority.
Packaging Machine Operator
Shifts Available: Afternoons: 4pm - 12am OR Midnights: 12am-8am
Starting Rate: $17.25 with $1.00 shift differential for Nights and $0.75 for Afternoons
Your Seat at the BEST Snack Table:
The Packaging Machine Operator (PMO) position operates or maintains equipment used to package snack foods. The PMO must be able to work with others within a dynamic, collaborative team environment, while performing essential work activities and ensuring safety and quality. The PMO must follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Food Safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Packaging Machine Operator position is responsible for the safe operation and maintenance related to packaging of product; monitoring and troubleshooting, starting and shutting down the packing machines; and preparing, cleaning, and maintaining the workplace. The PMO allocates staffing based on production schedules, works with the Shift Supervisor to lead shift kick-off meetings with the line team, and provides a plan for the shift.
· Safely Operates and maintains packaging equipment
· Ensures that products are produced in accordance with quality specifications
· Ensures packaging equipment produces safe, quality product at the desired rate
- Inspects and monitors the machine before, during, and after the production process
- Reads production schedule in order to determine quantities and types of products to be packaged and adjusts packaging rates accordingly
- Regulates machine flow, speed, and/or temperature through adjustments of machine components, tensions, and pressure as needed
- Loads packaging materials such as film and ribbon
- Occasionally fill in for packaging team members during which the PMO will place bags in boxes, seal boxes closes, and place boxes on pallets
- Keeps key components of packaging equipment clean. Inspects for defects, fixes minor defects, and reports defects to the maintenance department when assistance is needed
- Reports and/or takes any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring
· Legibly fills out required forms and paperwork
Monitors and troubleshoots packaging machines
- Ensures all safety devises are operating properly
- Inspects verifies and adjusts product weight or measurement to meet specifications
- Observes machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of packaged products to standards
- Monitors the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn’t sticking properly
- Inspects and removes defective products and packaging material
- Listens for malfunction indicators
- Shuts down machines when malfunctions occur
- Clears machine jams
- Cleans to inspect, finding defects
- Troubleshoots the cause(s) of poor quality products, improper weights (high or low), unacceptable finished package appearance, and machine breakdowns
- Ensures packaging equipment is running at documented centerlines as the initial step of troubleshooting
- Sets up, starts, and shuts down packaging equipment
- Prepares, cleans, and maintains the workplace
Performs other duties as assigned
Role Contribution Level
This position is an individual contributor role. The position requires the PMOto execute tasks in a safe and efficient manner and establish a positive work environment. The position requires completing tasks within a defined period of time. The PMO must collaborate with teammates, effectively manage personal time, demonstrate personal responsibility and respect others’ time.
What you bring to the PARTY:
· Computer skills
· Knowledge of techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
· Knowledge of counting and basic math
· Ability to store tools and supplies in a clean, orderly fashion
· Ability to communicate with others through spoken words and sentences in a loud production environment
· Ability to perform math operations using units of weight measurement
· Ability to read and comprehend written material
· Ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
· Knowledge, skills, and abilities consistent with the essential duties and responsibilities
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
· Must be able to walk and stand for eight hours or more
· Must be able to use hands, arms, and fingers to handle, feel, and reach
· Must be able to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
· Must be able to climb or balance
· Must be able to lift above head and shoulders
· Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
· Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
· Must be able to hear spoken instructions and audible alarms
· Close vision
· Distance vision
· Color vision
· Peripheral vision
· Depth perception
· Ability to adjust focus
The Packaging Machine Operator position is located in a manufacturing environment, which includes:
· Exposure to high temperatures
· Fumes or airborne particles
· Moving mechanical parts and vibration
· Loud noise level
· Elevated heights
· Hot surfaces
· Cleaning Chemicals
· Stored potential energy such as electricity, gravity, and pneumatics
We Offer a Variety Pack of Benefits After Just 30 Days
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!