|April 1, 2019
|Plant Maintenance Mechanic Knowledge, General Science, Hazardous Materials, Safety, Reading Comprehension, Following Instructions, Mathematical Problem Solving
Massillon Civil Service Commission
Municipal Government Annex, 2nd Floor | 151 Lincoln Way E., Massillon, Ohio 44646 | Telephone: (330) 830-1763 | Fax: (330) 830-1764 | Email: email@example.com
Notice of Competitive Examination
The Massillon Civil Service Commission will conduct a competitive civil service examination for the full-time position of Plant Maintenance Mechanic at the Waste Water Treatment Plant. The results of this written examination will be used to create a certified eligibility list. This position is under the direction of the Plant Maintenance Supervisor. This position has a starting rate of $17.91 per hour and it includes benefits. The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Exam Date, Location, and Time
Exam Date: Friday, May 3, 2019
Location: Massillon Recreation Center, 505 Erie Street North, Massillon, Ohio 44646
Exam Time: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM (2-hour time limit)
Check-in Time: 12:15 – 12:45 PM
No admittance to the exam after 12:45 PM.
An exam fee of $10.00, in the form of check or money order, is due at the time of application. Cash is not accepted. See below for more details about application requirements. Application Due Date: Friday, April 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM
Scope of Examination
The written examination will consist of 85 multiple choice questions in the subject areas of general science and the metric system, hazardous materials, safety, reading comprehension, understanding instructions, mathematical problem solving, and plant maintenance mechanic knowledge. Applicants must obtain a minimum passing score of seventy percent (70%) on the examination to be placed on an eligibility list ranked according to total score.
- There is a 2-hour time limit to complete the written examination.
- Identification is required to be admitted to the examination – Applicants who have been accepted for examinations will be admitted to the test site only upon presentation of their driver’s license. Applicants unable to present their driver’s license will not be accepted for examination.
- Prohibition of mobile phones and other electronic devices – The presence of operating mobile phones, pagers, wristwatches and/or other electronic devices emitting audible tones to alert an incoming message are prohibited during the examination. Violators are subject to dismissal from the examination.
- Battery powered or solar non-printing calculators not related to mobile phones are permitted.
- Accommodations – Applicants with a disability requiring accommodation at any phase during the testing process must advise the Civil Service Commission in writing at the time of application to permit accommodations. Failure to notify the Commission of any disability requiring accommodation after the application deadline may result in the Commissions inability to accommodate any disability.
- All applicants attaining a minimum passing score of seventy percent (70%) on the written examination will be placed on an eligibility list ranked according to total score.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
Under general supervision, the Plant Maintenance Mechanic performs semi-skilled and skilled maintenance tasks associated with the installation, and repair of plant, pump station and related equipment, adjusts and repairs pumps, and lubricates equipment. This position performs other related duties as required. Work can be characterized by assignment to rotating shifts where needed or as ordered by Operation Superintendent, Plant Maintenance Supervisor, or the Manager.
The Plant Maintenance Mechanic preforms the following duties:
- Repairs, adjusts and maintains plant and pump station equipment (e.g., blowers, piping, generators, pumps, motors, sludge treatment equipment, chemical feeding systems, lubricating systems, electrical controls, gauges and flow meters, valve switches, plumbing fixtures, etc.)
- Adjusts and replace pumps
- Overhauls compressors and related equipment; installs new and overhauled plant pump station equipment (e.g. pipe, blowers, chemical feeding systems, sludge handling equipment, wiring, etc.). Operates welding equipment
- Assists co-workers with large scale installation, maintenance and repair projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of wastewater treatment operations, maintenance techniques, tools, equipment and methods commonly used in mechanical maintenance
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures and safety practices and procedures
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions written, oral, picture or schedule form
- Read, copy, and record figures accurately
- Work independently on most tasks
- Demonstrate physical fitness
- High school diploma or GED with completion of secondary education supplemented by coursework in Mechanical Maintenance
- Must have experience in the installation, repair, and maintenance of mechanical equipment
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License
- Must have a valid (CDL) Commercial Driver’s License with tanker endorsement issued by the state of Ohio
- Must have the ability to perform other related duties as required
Filing of Application
Application Documentation & Submission Requirements
Application Due Date: Friday, April 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM
- Obtain a City of Massillon job application in one of two ways:
- Hard copy in the Office of the Civil Service Commission, Municipal Government Annex Administration Building (2nd Floor), 151 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, Ohio 44646 (in the Huntington Bank Building; across the street from the Lions Lincoln Theater in downtown Massillon)
- Online through the City of Massillon web site: http://www.massillonohio.com/city-services/city-services/job-opportunities/
2. Prepare your application and make sure you have:
- Completed City of Massillon job application (including fully completed, witnessed, and dated Authorization for Release of Information Form). Resumes are accepted, but an application is not considered complete without a City of Massillon job application.
- Payment for the $10.00 exam fee in the form of a check or money order. Make payment out to the “City of Massillon.” Cash is not accepted. This fee is non-refundable.
- Bonus credit documentation, if applicable. See additional details below about bonus credits.
3. Submit your complete application in one of two ways:
- In person to the Civil Service Administrator between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday (excluding holidays) at the Office of the Civil Service Commission. In the absence of the Civil Service Commission Administrator, applications may be submitted in person to either one of the two Administrative Assistants in the Mayor/Director of Safety and Service Office.
- By U.S. Mail, FedEx, or UPS. Mailed applications must be postmarked by 4:00 PM on Friday, April 19, 2019
4. Pass the civil service examination on Friday, May 3, 2019 with a score of 70% or higher.
Important: Applications not submitted per the specified application requirements will be rejected.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure ALL required documents necessary for exam eligibility, bonus points, and examination fee accompany the application.
- Failure to meet all criteria will exclude the applicant from taking the exam. There will be NO notification to applicants regarding this exclusion.
- Applications received after 4:00 PM on Friday, April 19, 2019 will not be accepted.
- Applicants will be disqualified if it is found they have made a false statement or concealed any material fact, or practiced, or attempted to practice any deception or fraud in the application, or in the examination, or in establishing eligibility.
Bonus Credit – Documentation & Standards
- Twenty percent (20%) is the maximum total bonus credit available.
- Possible bonus credit is allowed for: Armed Forces Veteran or City of Massillon Residency
- Bonus credit will only be awarded if a minimum acceptable score of seventy percent (70%) is achieved on the written examination.
- Applicants must submit acceptable proof documentation to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive the applicable bonus credit.
- Documentation received after the filing deadline will not be eligible for bonus credit.
Veteran's Preference: In accordance with Section 124.23 of the Ohio Revised Code, any applicant discharged from the uniformed services or transferred to the reserves with evidence of satisfactory service who is a resident of this state and any member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, with more than one hundred eighty days (180) of active duty service pursuant to an executive order of the President of the United States or an act of the congress of the United States shall receive additional credit of twenty percent (20%) of the total grade given awarded in the examination provided a passing grade is attained. A member in good standing of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, who successfully completes initial entry level training, shall receive a credit of fifteen percent (15%) of the person's total grade given in the examination provided a passing grade is attained.
Applicants receiving credit for service in the uniformed services (active duty) shall not receive additional credit for service in a reserve component of the armed forces, including the Ohio National Guard. Applicants must file a certificate of service or Honorable Discharge (Form DD 214 - Long Version) to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to be eligible for credit
City of Massillon Residency: A credit of twenty percent (20%) of the person's total grade scored in the examination shall be given to applicants who have maintained a permanent residence within the corporate limits of the City of Massillon for six (6) continuous months immediately prior to the date of the written examination. Applicants must submit proof of residency satisfactory to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive credit.
- Acceptable documents to show proof of residency:
- Utility bill with your name and address (that is no older than 90 days)
- W2 Tax Form with your name and address (most current)
- Driver’s license with the correct address and issued at least 6 months prior to the exam date
- Unacceptable documents:
- A check with your name and address
- Utility bill with your spouse or family member’s name (not in your name)
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Massillon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, national origin, age, political affiliation, or any other non-merit factor.
The City of Massillon is a drug-free workplace.
By Order of the Massillon Civil Service Commission
Elaine Campbell, Chairperson; Tony Townsend, Secretary; Margaret Elum, Assistant Secretary