|Date Posted||July 25, 2019|
The City of Massillon Civil Service is accepting applications for the position of Waste Water Plant Operator. This is a classified position that pays $17.91 per hour. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements, take a Civil Service test and successfully complete a pre-employment background check and drug screen.
** Candidates must complete a City of Massillon Job application, submit a copy of your drivers license and submit $10 check or money order only ( NO CASH) for the Civil Service test, set for Saturday August 17 at 10:00am. Applications are available on the City of Massillon website:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: WEDNESDAY AUGUST 14, 2019.
Resumes submitted without a City of Massillon job application, drivers license, $10 payment and bonus documentation (if applicable) will not be considered. Please submit completed applications to the Office of the Civil Service Commission, Municipal Government Annex Administration Building (2nd Floor), 151 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, Ohio 44646 (in the Huntington Bank Building; across the street from the Lions Lincoln Theater in downtown Massillon).
Under general supervision, performs semi-skilled and skilled tasks associated with the operation of the treatment facility; operates and performs minor maintenance on wastewater treatment plant equipment and related accessories. Work can be characterized by assignment to rotating shifts where needed or as ordered by the Operation Superintendent, Plant Maintenance Supervisor, or the Manager.
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by coursework in wastewater treatment, or equivalent combinations of training and/or experience.
- A CDL is preferable and could be required to be obtained at the discretion and financial cost of the City.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Performs other related duties as required.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES:The duties listed below are intended to depict tasks performed by this classification.
- Operates a variety of wastewater treatment facility equipment (e.g. chlorination unit, bar screen, vacuum filters, tertiary treatment devices, etc.); monitors the performance of aeration and settling tanks.
- Takes samples at various stages of the wastewater treatment process; performs basic laboratory tests for process control; reads and records data from a variety of gauges, meters and other measuring devices; assists with establishing operating control parameters; maintains accurate operational logs and reports.
- Inspects equipment to determine if operating properly; changes charts as required; performs minor maintenance tasks (e.g. lubricates equipment, cleans, washes and changes filters; cleans and repairs screens, grids, chemical unloading equipment, etc.); may assist in the repair of major equipment.
- Unloads chemicals into storage area; mixes chemicals as required; performs other manual work for safety in the storage and transportation of chemicals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of wastewater treatment systems and facilities, safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate actions, and work alone.
- Demonstrate physical fitness.
- Carry out instructions in written, oral or picture form.
- Cooperate with co-workers on group projects.
Proof is required for bonus credits. 20% is the maximum total bonus credit available. Possible bonus credit is for Armed Forces Veteran or City of Massillon Residency. Bonus credit will only be awarded if a minimum acceptable score of seventy percent (70%) is achieved on the written examination. Applicants must submit acceptable proof documentation to the Civil Service Commission at the time of application filing to receive the applicable bonus credit. Documentation received after the filing deadline will not be eligible for bonus credit.